Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Starlin Castro and I'm baaaaaack

I plead temporary fatigue. I'll even plead the 5th. I'll also beg for forgiveness for leaving you hanging over the past 3 months. The flame for the KQ Sports BBQ was unexpectedly doused but, thanks to the briquettes and heavy duty lighter fluid, I'm back.

What's with the sudden return? A trip to the Friendly Confines.

I had the great fortune of being invited last night to the Cubs vs. Marlins game. This was the first home game for the Cubs' SS Starlin Castro. He had an impressive start last week, homering in his first major league at bat. A true rookie and just 20 years old, he enthralled fans with his glove, his range and his swing.

Then came last night. Castro not only committed 3 errors, he made a mistake that no ball player should ever make: he stopped working hard. After he botched an 8th-inning ground ball, instead of hustling to where the ball skidded to, he turned his back and slowly walked toward it. Hanley Ramirez caught Castro napping and made it safely to 2nd base.

Don't get me wrong; Castro had a bad night. He should shake it off. I'm just hoping he's not going to be "that" guy. Don't be the player who only hustles when things are going your way, like last week. Do be "the guy" who learns from last night and promises long-suffering Cubs fans that it won't happen again. Be the guy who accepts help, constructive input from his teammates and a manager's scolding and channels it to be a better player.

Starlin's a great player to watch. Especially when he's working his butt off.


No comments: