Sunday, November 22, 2009

Catches: College vs. The Pros

Evenin' friends,

Tonight, we're talking about what's considered a catch in college vs. pro football. Specifically, if a player is thrown a pass that's taking them out of bounds on the field or in the end zone, there are different rules for college football vs. professional football. I raise this because often you see receivers tip-toeing down a sideline or in the end zone while catching a pass and their ballet-like movements make all the difference.

Here are the hot tips:
> In college football, the player must have control of the ball and have just 1 foot in bounds for a catch to qualify.
> For the pros, it's tougher: the player must have control of the ball and BOTH feet must be in bounds for a catch to qualify.
> This is why you see players drag their feet and make some of the most beautiful, aerobatic catches all in the name of staying in bounds and hauling in the ball.
> Check out this link and especially notice #'s: 10, 8 and 6. These are the pro's dragging their toes and making them count. http://tinyurl.com/dyz8nd

Enjoy!

5 comments:

steve said...

Off topic question: any chance the BBQ's gonna serve up anything on boxing, the "sweet science"?

mity quinn said...

Great question, Steve. I'm bobbing and weaving as I type this. But I also might pull a rope a dope.

Stay tuned!

Unknown said...

Hey there Moose. How's about some old time hockey or Aussie Rules football?

Marc R

mity quinn said...

Hey Marc, wow!

Hmmm...old time hockey. H-E-double hockey sticks, yes! We'll get into some hockey. I'm planning on bringing in some guest columnists and I think I'm going to drop the puck on hockey coverage in that way.

I may need a guest columnist on Aussie Rules football. Any interest?

Great to hear from you, my friend!

Unknown said...

Aussie Rules and the real futbol, I'm your man. Getting ready for the Champions League today and World Cup next summer.