Wednesday, December 30, 2009

First Woman to Ref College Bowl Game

A little known fact has been sizzling on the hot BBQ and it's time to plate it.

Here's what you can chat up:
> Sarah Thomas is the first woman to referee a college football football game. She's ref'ed other college games and a practice for the New Orleans Saints but this is another barrier broken when she was the line judge for the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl between Ohio University and Marshall University.

> Ria Cortesio was the first female to ump an MLB game -- though it was an exhibition game.

> There aren't a lot of women refs in the pro leagues. Violet Palmer is one.

> David Stern, the NBA commissioner recently responded to a question that in the next decade it's possible a woman could be playing in the league.

So often, I've talked about sports that are male dominated and, I'll continue to. But today, it's time to acknowledge the accomplishments of a few women. And in the future, I'll be finding more stories and bringing some guest bloggers in.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It's about time that women get to play a more vital role in the on the field part of the game. I've seen waaaaayyyyy too many games where some overweight, astigmatic, 60 year old blows a crucial call. It happens in the replay booth also. The only problem is that they have to be tougher than their male counterparts as they will probably face much more abuse.

mity quinn said...

As always, well put, Marc.

I think it's time we discuss you being the first guest blogger on the BBQ. Pick and topic and let's talk!

Happy New Year, my friend.

Unknown said...

How about the mental problems of football coaches after seeing the Texas Tech-Mike Leach fiasco.

Unknown said...

...or I could blog about the Winter Classic.

mity quinn said...

Go for the winter classic. It was a great scene last year here in Chicago with the Haws vs. Wings.

I'll have my brother chime in b/c he's a HUGE hockey fan and very knowledgeable.

Send me your post and I'll introduce you and post it. Can you do it today?